The next chapter starts …… Now.

by

Sunset on our farm.

I’ve set this post up to publish at the same time as I am starting down the next fork in the road. I shouldn’t make it sound like I am the only one on this journey, my husband is very much by my side on this particular journey. But this morning he is at work in town and…..

At this very moment I am milking cows. Probably doesn’t seem odd for me to be milking. I mean I call myself “Dairy Carrie”, milking cows has to be part of that doesn’t it? Well for me, yes, milking cows is something that I want as part of my life but for the past 2.5 years it really hasn’t been. Hubs and I have kept as much of a presence in daily farm things as we possibly could and tried every path we could find that would lead us beck towards our ultimate goal of dairy farming full time. But the animals we own are being milked by other people right now and we have been mostly feeding calves and taking care of dry cows on a part time basis. I blogged about our journey and the situation we found ourselves stuck in a little bit here and here. The entire time we have been off the farm we have kept looking for a new place to start our future and we continually ran into road blocks. To the point where we became incredibly discouraged and felt like maybe dairy farming isn’t what we would end up doing. There just didn’t seem to be a way.

Fast forward to today. This morning I am milking cows. I am milking cows that I know, mostly the daughters of the cows that taught me to love dairy cows. Despite the deep hurt and pain that left us with no farm to call our own when family issues caused Hubs and I to leave his parent’s farm, this morning I am once again milking on their farm. Changes in life have made an opening where there had been nothing but solid walls. We are still not sure what lays beyond the opening, we’re taking baby steps, but this morning I am milking cows again. I finally feel the piece of the puzzle sliding into place. I don’t know why the path to this point has been so very, very difficult but here we are at the start of the next chapter. So while I milk the cows this morning I ask you to send up some good thoughts for us. We’re going to need them as we figure out what the next step means for us.

Sorry to disappoint the neighborhood rumor mill, but farm is not for sale, we hope to keep the family farm rolling into the future.

Wish us luck, we’re going to need it and order extra cheese on that pizza, would ya?

42 Comments on The next chapter starts …… Now.

1. Gloria Moss
    December 18, 2012 at 7:54 am (7 years ago)

I was so hoping you we’re havin a baby…. Lol. But I’m glad y’all worked things out, try not to kill anyone. I love you! 🙂

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm (7 years ago)

Dear little sister. No babies! If this was about babies the title would have been Warning! Flying Pigs!!!!!

2. Bryan Quanbury
    December 18, 2012 at 8:41 am (7 years ago)

Great News Carrie. All the best on the new Adventure for Dairy Carrie.

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you Bryan! I’m excited to start down this new path! And polled is a big part of our future herd!

3. brandibuzzard
    December 18, 2012 at 9:29 am (7 years ago)

Good luck!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Brandi! We’re going to need it!

4. J. Rhoades
    December 18, 2012 at 10:35 am (7 years ago)

Good luck to you guys! My husband recently started working full time for his dad on the farm this year, and although things are going great right now and we all get along well, I’m always worried about something like this in the back of my mind. Your in my thoughts Carrie!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you! Family business has it’s own challenges and own rewards for sure. Fingers crossed for you guys too!

5. Becky
    December 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm (7 years ago)

Glad to hear this, Carrie. I know there is a lot to work out. The best piece of wisdom I can share is already familiar to you: “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone,” (Romans 12:18). You can do it, as long as all of you rely on the Grace you’ve all freely received & freely give!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Becky. You have been a great friend through all of this and I really am thankful you are a part of our lives!

6. Julie Barnett
    December 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm (7 years ago)

Carrie, We went down a hard road too, but I have learned that everything happens for a reason. What you learned in the tough times will help you make it through what life has to bring as you move forward. I don’t know your whole story but here are some things I learned from the tough times 1) I learned from how I was treated to not treat others the same way. 2) I learned that I could not raise my children to be passionate about our farming way of life and then tell them how rotten they are at it later because of a personal refusal to change 3) God has a way of answering the prayers and things we ask for, just differently than we originally pictured it. Best wishes of abundant calves and high quality milk!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm (7 years ago)

Good lessons! Thank you 🙂

7. Jennifer
    December 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm (7 years ago)

I truly believe with God all things are possible! I don’t think as humans we can predict what’s ahead, but I respect being open. Good for both sides for being willing to reopen doors.
    Praying for people you really don’t like on a regular basis will completely change the way you think about them too!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm (7 years ago)

The healing is a work in progress but there is still work to be done. We will get there with His grace. Thank you Jennifer.

8. Stephany
    December 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm (7 years ago)

Congrats Carrie and Pat! May God bless you as you head out on this new path! Good luck and happy milking! I believe just about every family has had the rough patch in life, you are not alone, it actually happens more that one would think! I pray that everything gets worked out for the best of everyone involved ! 🙂 P.S. Hate those rumor mills…. they have run around on us for a while too every now and then, I know all to well how that feels!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm (7 years ago)

Rumors… so interesting to hear sometimes 😉 Thank you Steph!

9. Glen Groth
    December 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm (7 years ago)

Congratulations Carrie! I’m glad things are working out!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Glen. So far, so good. Many days ahead of us.

10. Megan Brown
    December 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm (7 years ago)

Congrats Carrie! I know all about family drama, and I really hope everything works out for you! I’m here if you ever need to talk.

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you Megan! Family drama and farming seem to go hand in hand.

11. Megan
    December 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm (7 years ago)

I’ve got your 6! You will be amazing!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Megan.

12. zweberfarms
    December 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm (7 years ago)

Yeah! I am sooo excited this finally is a reality. Since I am first learning about this here, that means we haven’t talked for a few weeks. We need to change that ASAP.

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm (7 years ago)

I wish I was closer to you guys! We could have a great ladies lunch 🙂

13. Kelly M. Rivard (@KMRivard)
    December 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm (7 years ago)

Yaaaayyy! Congrats, Carrie, and good luck. You deserve as much cow in your life as possible, my friend!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Kelly. Cows are good. 🙂

14. Timothy D. Klaustermeier
    December 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm (7 years ago)

Best of luck! Life is a great journey, especially with cows!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Tim!

15. Jim Briggs
    December 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm (7 years ago)

Having walked away from my lifelong dream of running my familys dairy farm/processing plant, I know all to well the family issues amd then trying to find a way to start over.
    Hope all works out well for you and Good Luck on your next chapter!!

• dairycarrie
      December 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you Jim. I guess it all works out the way it’s supposed to. Even if it’s not the plan we had.

16. Pam
    December 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm (7 years ago)

Good luck! The time may be right for you now. I have to tell you that my husband and I are following our dream of our own dairy, we are 55 and 56, its never too late. We bought our farm in 1996 from his grandparents, cows haven’t been milked here since the 60’s when grandpa milked in cans. We built a freestall barn in 2007, before the curbs and freestalls were put in we decided it wasn’t going to work out with dairy and the barn was set up for our beef cows, and we calved and sold the dairy heifers we had bought and their calves. We paid off our farm in 2010, signed for a parlor loan 2 months ago, have all the cement and the roof and some siding and windows in the building, we have 62 heifers that will start calving in August, have have 44 calves 3-7 months old. Ironically my husband lost his job at a 3000 cow dairy where he had been employed for almost 17 yrs. We had began excavation the week he was let go and the lender said no problem, of course they have our ground as collateral! We are going for it, no stopping now! I pray things work out for you.

17. beth
    December 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm (7 years ago)

Ah the life of a dairy farmer. Kudos to you for getting in the pit. Prayers to you and yours on this new chapter.

18. polleydan
    December 19, 2012 at 12:42 am (7 years ago)

Best of luck!

19. Robyn
    December 19, 2012 at 8:23 am (7 years ago)

A Leap of Faith means hurtling in to the unknowing ….and knowing, in our hearts, that we will make it to the other side.

Good Luck to you Miss Carrie.

20. Three Cedars Irish Dexters
    December 19, 2012 at 11:17 am (7 years ago)

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Keep your eyes to the ground – focusing on keeping one foot stepping in front of the other. And shoot those photos, along the way! Before you know it… the end of the year will come. And you can look back through those photos… for the most wonderful surprise and feeling of accomplishment! Sometimes… living in the middle of it is like owning a calf….hard to realize how much things change on a daily basis!

It’ll be okay. To come full circle is to be blessed with a security in knowing you were never lost, nor off the road already chosen for you.

Merry Christmas!

21. carolyncares
    December 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm (7 years ago)

Wishing you lots of patience, and happier times. Congratulations on this next chapter!

22. Jackie
    December 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm (7 years ago)

My prayer when i need help dealing with ppl is lord i cant change them please change me. Hang tite lady1 it will work as god sees fit. Jackie & kiss

23. Iain Robson
    December 22, 2012 at 6:59 am (7 years ago)

I am glad that you decided to stick with it. It is never easy to figure what the future will hold.

I am in the process of making a hard decision. I mean leaving the city and heading back to country to start farming isn’t really an easy decision to make. That is a different story altogether.

Happy holidays

24. Diana
    December 30, 2012 at 2:05 am (7 years ago)

I’m terribly late to this one, but just wanted to tell you I’ve got everything crossed for you. Been there, done that… still doing that continually it seems… with the roadblocks. Stay strong. At some point we’ll be the old farmers who have it all figured out, right? That’s what I keep telling myself.

25. joyceflemingMary
    January 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm (7 years ago)

Carrie,
    Best wishes. I did not realize we were in the same boat with caring for calves, dry cows, and for me bull calves. Where do you live? Maybe we could visit. Can you share my email address with Jim?