Looking for something?

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Lori D. says

Chipotle needs to have Ms. Winch as their spokesperson. I’d buy their food if she was in their commercial. Too bad they feel hitting below the belt attracts more business than taking the moral high road. Thank you, Ms. Winch for telling us about your experience. I appreciate your point of view. Good luck to you in the future! Thank you, Dairy Carrie, for once again bringing us valuable stories about relevant topics!

2. Eddie Borst says

Chipotle’s, approach would have made more sense if they went more along the lines of McDonalds and Dominos Pizza with the “see what we are doing now” approach using the actual farms and farmers in the ads. All the cartoons do is allow the creator to bend them around to add the “fear factor” that they can’t seem to capture in real life.
    All hybrid plants such as tomatoes and corn do is target diseases that can be genetically altered to be non existant and increase harvest productions by turning on a hereditary switch to produce more fruit or grain.
    As far as the dairy side goes there is such a thing as preventative medicine practices, I find it hard to believe that there are farms out there that are pumping their herds full of antibiotics that are unnecessary. Is it possible? yes. Is this type of management cost effective? no. If a farmer doesn’t get out and see what is happening on his farm and is relying on hired help to run his farm then sure some problems will arise. I really dislike the terms factory farms and corporate farming, pink slime.
    Just a few thoughts and you are an amazing person Carrie. Keep up the good work!

3. Tonia says

Carrie,
    Thank you! The responses of the ‘man on the street’ say it so much better than we ever could. I found it hard not to laugh when I read that what our grandparents ate WAS real food but that what we eat today isn’t. They think the original ear of corn was about, what, the size of your pinky finger or so? How much land would you have to plant to get a good meal out of that?

Also, I love the idea that bland foods that all look the same was driven by agriculture. How many times have produce companies tried to market fruits that tasted better than they looked only to have them rejected by consumers (personally, I’d rather chew on cardboard than a ‘red delicious’ apple, but people keep buying them). People scream about overuse of fungicides and pesticides, but don’t try to sell them a head of lettuce with a few spots on it. Farmers didn’t insist that the American consumer get less marbled meat. The consumer insisted on lower fat content and that’s how you get it.

Of course, I could go on and on, but the point is that people want to hold marches and sign petitions INSISTING that things be done a certain way, but when they go to the store, they keep buying the prettiest apple, the leanest steak and the trendiest bottled water. They write laws demanding free-range eggs and then buy the conventional ones because they’re half the price. Even the organic produce has to be camera ready or it will rot on the shelf. It’s just crazy!

4. Ron says

Chipolte talks about highly processed foods but they are just as guilty. Here is the ingredient list for their flour tortilla.

Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (enriched with Folic Acid, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Riboflavin, and Thiamine Mononitrate), Water, White Whole Wheat Flour, Soybean Oil , Hydrogenated Soybean Oil , Wheat Bran, Salt, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch , Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Fumaric Acid, Sodium Metabisulfite , Calcium Propionate , Sorbic Acid

How would Chiplotes feel if someone made a video about how they make tortillas? Bleaching the flour and then adding chemical after chemical?

And their sodium content of food is overwhelming. The tortilla alone has 670 mg. Tomato salsa 470 mg.

They are hypocrites.

• Devan Schreiber says

While I do not support the Scarecrow commercial and in no way am I trying to defend them, the ingredients listed as enriching the wheat flour are B-vitamins and minerals….not chemicals.

5. Ron says

I have a question for Ms Winch. Does Chiplote pay extra to you? Does it pay enough for current convention farmers to switch to pass their inspection and be profitable?

FWIW I read a comment after an article from a grass-fed beef farmer who said that Chipoltes contacted him about selling to them. He said, “To my dismay they wanted to pay substantially less than even the dismal price offered by the conventional beef processors.”

No wonder they can’t get enough “natural” beef.

• Christina Winch says

Thanks for your questions Ron. We do get a premium on our milk check for being an Animal Friendly Family Farm. It’s not much, but it’s an added bonus. Is that premium enough for current farmers to switch, all depends on the farm. Like I said, for us it was an easy fit because we were already following the majority of their Standard Operating Procedure’s. I am sure there are farms like us out there who can easily get involved. Other large scale farms it might not be so easy and economical to switch over. Farmers, like any business owner, need to think about what is best for their operation when deciding how to market their product. Ms. Winch

• Bruce says

Ron, I’m NOT a former dairy farmer! How about not using abbreviations those outside of the industry don’t understand. I can assume what it may mean but you know what they (whomever “they” are) say about assuming!

6. Rod Friesen DVM says

I absolutely refuse to darken the door of establishments that use the type of negative marketing displayed in the scarecrow video. Images displayed in this video are not even close to reality. This video places distorted views of reality in the minds of agriculturally naive people. Mrs. Winch’s ideas of positive marketing, using images of real farmers supplying the chain makes much more sense to me. My mother always said you can catch more flies with honey.
    Rod Friesen DVM

7. Jenny Schweigert says

While I congratulate Chipotle for doing their research and appreciate Christina’s insight, this just solidifies the fact that Chipotle does value and understand the reality of the agriculture industry but rejects it for marketing purposes. Based on their visits and audits of the Winch farm, they should clearly understand that the concept of a factory farm is as imaginative as their latest video. Unfortunately, they’ve also done their market research and have played on consumers’ misguided and uneducated feelings about food. Chipotle knows that the reality of the agriculture industry does not sell burritos or make $3 Billion dollar, annual profits. They made the choice to use feelings over facts and thats unfortunate to the hard-working and ethical farmers like Christina.