Looking for something?

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Pierre Lebeaupin says

Not only is she a cow nutritionist and a dairy cow farmer, but also a great teacher. I’m an unrepentant urbanite who only has faint notions of cattle feeding, but she manages to hold my attention and explain the subject in a way I understand without any visual aid, just her face to the camera. Kudos.

• Kathleen Falls says

Really enjoyed your educational info…and loved seeing the beautiful cows! Thank you – Kathleen

2. TERRI OPGENORTH says

What a really adorable lady! I was wondering about the Skittle thing and now I know. Thanks Carrie and Laura!

3. Barb says

great video, I enjoyed it, but there will be a lot of kickback from the paleo types. Good luck on that one!!

4. Clyde Lane says

Thank you for helping educate non-farmers about ruminant nutrition and how candy can be used in a ration. I would ask that you do some additional reading on diabetes. Eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. Type 2 (adult onset) is often found in individuals that are overweight which the consumption of too many sweets does contribute to. Once an individual is diagnosed with diabetes they must limit their sugar consumption of sugar because the body does not produce enough insulin to use the glucose produced.
    Like you I have a degree in ruminant nutrition (PhD). I also have a wife and two children with Type 1 diabetes and I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
    Keep up the good work. Agriculture needs a lot of good spokesmen..

• dairycarrie says

Hi Clyde, you’re right about diabetes not being caused by sugar. Laura wasn’t inferring that she believed that to be the case but was responding to many people who were worried cows would get diabetes from eating the candy.

5. sally anderson says

I really enjoyed your excellent explanation on why you add some candy to feed your cattle. It also was a very cute video with the cows included