This recipe uses premade gnocchi to speed up a delicious meal. The decadent broth combined with the chard’s and bacon’s flavor makes this a meal that can impress on any weeknight.
Have you ever tried any of those meal delivery kits? I tend to get stuck in a rut of making the same old things, despite a cupboard full of cookbooks. The meal delivery kits are pretty great at helping you bust out of a rut and try new ingredients. I tried a couple delivery services out in the last year and let’s just say that some were way better than others. Out of all of the services I tried, Plated was my favorite and the recipe that inspired this one is probably why! While their version is vegetarian, mine is not! (note: I am not being paid by Plated to post this, I just liked their service.)
I have a hard time following exact directions. I always have my own ideas and like to add my own twist to a recipe. But when I got the ingredients for this dish in my Plated box, I followed them perfectly and it was good enough to try making again, this time allowing myself to get creative. The original was good, but my version featuring Sartori Sarvecchio Parmesan cheese is even better!
Using premade gnocchi makes this a quicker weekday version of a “Sunday meal”. And even my picky eater will gobble down a bowl. Although I do have to admit, he picks out the chard. I miss the days when he would eat whatever we put in front of him! If you want a meal that everyone will eat without having to pick things out, check out my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe HERE.
Gnocchi with Swiss Chard and Bacon in Parmesan Broth.
Gnocchi with Swiss Chard and Bacon in Parmesan Broth
1 Small Yellow Onion, Chopped
1 Bunch Swiss Chard
1/4tsp Crushed Red Pepper
6 Slices Bacon
16oz Vegetable or Chicken broth
1lbs Gnocchi (I prefer the frozen type over dried)
2Tbs Heavy Cream
1/2c grated Sartori Sarvecchio or Parmesan Cheese
- Get a large pot of water boiling for the gnocchi. Chop onion into small pieces. Cut the leaves of the Swiss chard from the stems, cut stems into small slices. Keeping the leaves separate, cut leaves into small ribbons. You’ll want about 1/2 cup of stems and 1 packed cup of leaves. Mince garlic.
- Fry bacon until crisp in a high sided pan. When bacon is done cooking, drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to pan and heat on medium high. Add red pepper, garlic, onion and Swiss chard stems. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth to pan, increase heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and allow to simmer until broth is reduced by 1/3. This takes about 5 minutes.
- While broth is simmering, cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain but don’t rinse.
- Add Swiss chard leaves to broth and stir in, cook until wilted. Add cream and shredded Parmesan. Add gnocchi and crumbled bacon, stir until everything is combined.