Looking for something?

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Alyce Luis says

Thank you Dairy Carrie for an ACTUAL true depuction of what goes on at the farm. So much musinfirmation, down right lies, that have their own agenda.

2. casdog1 says

Yep! My friend raises one to two steers every 18 months for beef. Right now she has a 1 month old steer & an 8 month old steer, both from dairy operations. They are on pasture with our horses, protected by livestock guardian dogs, & live a generally stress free, safe, happy existence until their time comes.

3. Angela says

I’ve always wondered what the whole calf hutch thing is about. I see them here outside the few dairies that we still have in this area. I do understand taking the calves away from mom right away, we do that at the goat dairy I work at, a bit different time-line but after a few days the kid goats are bucket fed.

Anyway, what I wonder most is why are the calves kept separate from one another? I would think as a herd animal it would be hard on them. The kid goats I work with are all kept in large pens together, separated by age and gender.

Bull calves (most soon to be steers I assume) are valuable animals around here and are much coveted. The prices people can get for grass-fed beef are totally worth the effort. And oh my is that meat good!

• John says

Hutches are used for several reasons, one the farm may just not have room in a barn, 2 young calves are susceptible to lots of illness and especially if born in a cold wet time of year, those illnesses can quickly make calves very sick or even kill them. Hutches allow the calves to be kept apart until they build up some immunity to what ever bugs the farm has, and the hutches are easier to clean between calves. It also helps to give each calf individual attention to make sure a sick one doesn’t hide in the back of the pen and not get treated soon enough.

4. Hillary says

Just had the opportunity to share this with a girl I use to work with who doesn’t know as much about agriculture and who shared the calf hutch picture! Glad you posted this and I was able to share the link. You’re wonderful! You helped me educate and hopefully change a mind or two!

5. sirnic16 says

Great post!
    Around here (southwestern Ontario) most bull calves for veal are raised till they are at least a few months.
    On the farm I work on we treat the bull calves just like they were heifers until we sell them to another farmer, this can be anywhere from a week old to 6 weeks.